SupportTicket Welcome to Help & Support

We offer various forms of technical support for RJ Webbuilder. The primary way to get help is through the Support Ticket System.  

If this is your first visit you will need to register to create your ticket. If you are returning please login to see your current and solved tickets. Login/Register button is in the upper right main menu.

Please search the knowledgebase below or in the Help Forum for answers to common questions before submittimg a ticket.

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Permissions / hidden menus
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Permissions / hidden menus

Permissions / hidden menus 25 May 2014 16:00 #2358

• sraynes
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello all. This is my first post, and I didn't see anything previously posted that covers this, so here goes.

I'm trying to set up hidden menu items for our Board of Trustees and our Religious School administrators. I set up a hidden menu called 'RESTRICTED' for the Board, with a few articles and it works beautifully. Then I tried to hang another menu item (Religious School) off the same hidden menu, but for a different user group. That's when I ran into trouble. I don't think it's possible as the menu is assigned to an access level.

Here's what I'd like to do, preferably on a single hidden menu item.

Group Name: Board
Access to: Board Documents (single article/menu item), HHD documents (single article/menu item), Religious School documents (single article/menu item)

Group Name: RelgiousSchool
Access to: Religious School documents only

Group Name: RegisteredUser1
Access to: Board Documents

I know it's a combination of User, Group and Access settings, but can't envision the right combinations to get it all to work. I'm getting wrapped around the wheel on it, and finally stepped back.

Ideally, the Board members should be able to see everything, and shouldn't have to log out and back in under another account to do so. Any help would be truly appreciated. Thanks to all.

Scott
'Webmaster' by default, not by trade.

Re: Permissions / hidden menus 28 May 2014 18:07 #2361

• Bernie
  • Gold Boarder
You don't need to make the menus Hidden. You can just control access to them.

In the User Manager:
You should setup the various Groups that you need, Board, Religious School, etc.
Setup your Users and assign each of them to the proper Groups. Users can be assigned to more than one Group.
Then setup "Viewing Access Levels" and specify which Groups can see that Access Level.

In the Menu Manager, for each menu item that you want to limit, specify an Access Level that includes the proper Groups.

Hope that helps. I have menus that are only visible to Editors when they are logged in, and menus that are only visible to the rabbi to edit his blog.

Bernie
Bernie Mayoff
TempleShalomDallas.org
Dallas, Texas

Re: Permissions / hidden menus 01 Jun 2014 11:16 #2365

• sraynes
  • Fresh Boarder
Bernie -

Sorry for the delayed response; was on travel for work. Just tried to apply your response to mt permissions, but wound up with the general public having access to all items on the restricted menu. Unpublished everything, and tried to start fresh, but not getting anywhere at the moment.

Obviously have something set wrong, somewhere, but too close to it. Taking a breather and will try again later.

Thanks for your help.

Re: Permissions / hidden menus 19 Jun 2014 12:49 #2374

• sraynes
  • Fresh Boarder
Last Edit: 19 Jun 2014 12:52 by sraynes. Reason: Text not appearing. Messed up link(?)

Re: Permissions / hidden menus 19 Jun 2014 14:03 #2375

• Bernie
  • Gold Boarder
Glad you found that great tutorial.

I was puzzled when I saw your blank post in this thread, but the e-mail notification that I got had the text of your message and a link to the article. I'd forgotten that this blog, as a security precaution, prevents links from being included.

I trying to remember if that restriction applies to everyone, or if the restriction is relaxed after you've written enough entries. I'm reposting your invisible entry as a test. If it appears in the blog we know the restriction eventually gets lifted. If it doesn't appear then we know the link is a problem and I'll come back and edit this entry.

Bernie
------------------------------
SRaynes original (Invisible) entry:

Bernie -

I finally found an article (magazine.joomla.org/issues/issue-feb-201...la-ACL-Access-Levels) that walked me through it step by step.

I truly appreciated your help.
Bernie Mayoff
TempleShalomDallas.org
Dallas, Texas
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.37 seconds
UA-370524-15